- R.I.P. filmmaker Jonathan Demme, director of “Something Wild,” “Stop Making Sense” & other Night Flight faves
- Record Store Day, every day: You got it nicer at Licorice Pizza stores in the 70s and early 80s
- “TV Party”: Glenn O’Brien’s weekly late 70s public-access punk cocktail party TV show
- Zinelandia: Night Flight talks with Joe Biel about “$100 & a T-Shirt,” his documentary about zines
- In 1977, Prince appeared on “The Gong Show,” but no one has ever talked about the episode, until now
- The Wu Tang Collection: The weirdest “Ku Fung Theater”-style mostly-Asian action flicks you’ll ever see
- Bullseye! Arrow Films’ exploitation, Italian horror, spaghetti westerns, drive-in sleaze & more, now on Night Flight Plus!
- “Dynaman”: Night Flight’s popular series featured rubber monsters, good looking Japanese teens, silly jokes, and cool pop music!
- “All Dolled Up”: Night Flight’s exclusive interview with director Bob Gruen about his New York Dolls documentary
- “The Gumby Show”: America’s Favorite Clayboy is back again on Night Flight!
All posts tagged "book excerpt"
Zinelandia: Night Flight talks with Joe Biel about “$100 & a T-Shirt,” his documentary about zines
$100 & a T-Shirt is a wonderful documentary about the world of self-published zines, focusing mostly on the Portland, Oregon area. It was directed by Joe Biel and first released on DVD in 2004, and you can...
- Posted April 7, 2017
Something Weird: Read an exclusive excerpt from A Thousand Cuts: The Bizarre Underground World of Collectors and Dealers Who Saved the Movies
Mike Vraney of Something Weird Video was truly one of a kind, even in the lurid, carny-like world of exploitation, sexploitation and grindhouse movies that he loved so much. Mike Vraney; By Permission of Mike Vraney A...
- Posted February 3, 2017
Under The Big Black Sun: Night Flight talks to Tom DeSavia about the late 70s L.A. punk scene
The recently-published Under The Big Black Sun: A Personal History of L.A. Punk (Da Capo Press) — written by longtime friends John Doe (co-founder of the seminal L.A. punk band, X) and Tom DeSavia (Head of Creative...
- Posted May 3, 2016
Ethan Coen’s “A Fever In The Blood”: A darkly comic noir-ish short film by filmmaker Andrew Pulver
Andrew Pulver’s brilliant little short film “A Fever In The Blood“ — about a private eye named Victor Shapiro, who gets his ear bitten off in an alley fight and then must re-adjust to working as “hearing-impaired”...
- Posted October 30, 2015
National Lampoon co-founder Doug Kenney and New Wave Theatre’s Peter Ivers: Exclusive excerpts from In Heaven, Everything Is Fine
This week we’ll be featuring a series of posts in our Night Flight tribute to the National Lampoon, called “the national source for smart, raw, taboo-smashing satire, and the national home for brilliant misfits to convert their...
- Posted September 21, 2015
Exclusive Book Excerpt: The Missing Man Who Co-Founded Los Lobos
My new book Los Lobos: Dream in Blue will be published by the University of Texas Press on Sept. 8. It’s the first full-length critical history of the East Los Angeles band. Three-time Grammy Award winners and...
- Posted September 4, 2015
Remembering Arthur Lee: “Your Mind and We Belong Together”, LOVE’s 1968 promo film
Night Flight is remembering Arthur Lee today, on the anniversary of his passing — he died on August 3, 2006, after losing a hard-fought battle to acute lymphoblastic leukemia; he was born March 7, 1945, in Memphis, Tennessee...
- Posted August 3, 2015