- “All Dolled Up”: Night Flight’s exclusive interview with director Bob Gruen about his New York Dolls documentary
- “Dynaman”: Night Flight’s popular series featured rubber monsters, good looking Japanese teens, silly jokes, and cool pop music!
- Something Weird: Read an exclusive excerpt from A Thousand Cuts: The Bizarre Underground World of Collectors and Dealers Who Saved the Movies
- We Are Not Afraid: Music legends unite to help raise funds for the refugee crisis and victims of religious and political violence
- “Junior High School”: The musical that found the high notes of your awkward hormone-driven years!
- “The Gumby Show”: America’s Favorite Clayboy is back again on Night Flight!
- Something Weird is happenin’ on Night Flight: Check out our classic cult, hippie & biker flicks, drive-in sleaze and exploitation movies!
- Night Flight brings you Italo-West from Wild East: Imported Spaghetti Westerns
- AV Club calls Night Flight “A pop culture fever dream, a sensory rush of synthesizer melodies, solarized video, and severe haircuts”
- Under The Big Black Sun: Night Flight talks to Tom DeSavia about the late 70s L.A. punk scene
Larry Hankin: “The Lost Tapes of Emmett Sagittarius Deemus”
It’s Friday, and time for another post from Larry Hankin, and today, we’ve got a hodgepodge of clips edited together from various other short films featuring Emmett Sagittarius Deemus.
Months back, we ask Larry about he came to filmmaking, and he’s what he told us:
“I was making these kinds of film shorts, they were sometimes a minute, or two or three minutes, back in the 80s. They got longer as I went on. The ones with the character I’d created, Sometimes Jones, kept on getting reviewed here in L.A. because I was showing them in local coffeehouses and movie places, and that’s where a guy came to me said he thought the films were great, and so we started a commercial venture together. There was just glimmer of people interested at the time in little movies like these, but a lot of the new cable channels needed ‘product’ and I remember they ended playing on Z Channel a lot, late at night, and TV shows like “Night Flight.” So, he had this idea of me making film shorts. and this was pre-Youtube, and he paid me a couple of bucks. Ridiculous. But I just wanted to make to make films. I made several of these films before he ran out of money, and then he disappeared. And I kept making films, but If I don’t’ have any money, then I just go back to ones that I have… and I start fucking with them, I edit them again, and sometimes I make them into little compilations, and I change them. I’m obsessed with the filmmaking process, and editing.”